I am sure by now, you have all heard of the newest superfood, Quinoa, but do you know what makes it such an amazing addition to your meals? Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is not a grain; it is actually a seed and related to the spinach family. When cooked, quinoa is light, fluffy, slightly crunchy and subtly flavored similar to brown rice. Since it has a similar texture to most grains, can substitute quinoa in place of a variety of grains in many recipes!
Health Benefits of Quinoa
▪ Complete protein. Quinoa contains all 9 essential amino acids that are required by the body as building blocks for muscles. Each serving of quinoa has 9g of protein!
▪ Magnesium helps relax your muscles and blood vessels and effects blood pressure.
▪ Fiber. Quinoa is an excellent way to ensure that you consume the suggested amount fiber to help with digestion.
▪ Manganese and copper. Quinoa is a good source of these minerals, which act as detoxifying agents in the body.
▪ Quinoa is gluten free so it is an excellent alternative for those who suffer from gluten intolerance or Celiac Disease!
How To Cook With Quinoa
• It is suggested to rinse and soak quinoa prior to cooking in order to ensure maximum nutrient absorption, however some do not require this, so just look on the package!
• Quinoa is a great addition to salads and soups.
• Replace the rice in your stir fry with quinoa
• Add quinoa to baked goods such as muffins for a higher protein intake.