We all know that avocadoes make a great compliment to many meals for out little ones but do you know why they are such an amazing nutritional fruit?
– Half of an avocado contains 35% of the RDA for Vitamin C and over 50% of the RDA for Vitamin K!
– Avocadoes are an excellent source of fiber and healthy monounsaturated fats.
– They are full of antioxidants lycopene and beta-carotene
– Avocadoes contain 30% more potassium than a banana!
Selection and Storage
– -Refrigeration can slow the ripening process.
– -To quicken the ripening process, store the avocadoes in a paper bag with an apple for 1-2 days.
– -Sprinkle cut avocado with a dash of lemon juice to prevent browning.
– -If making a dip like guacamole, put the seed in the dip while refrigerated to prevent browning.
– You know an avocado is ripe when it is slightly soft to the touch when you press it.
Simple Ways To Add Avocadoes To Meals
– Substitute avocadoes for butter and oil in recipes such as brownies and cakes. In general, the ratio is a 1:1.
– Add to your little ones favorite smoothies!
– Slice them up along with other veggies for an afternoon snack.
– Blend them in your favorite dip or make guacamole.